View Single Post
Old 04-10-2018, 09:05 PM   #2
alaskayorkie
Banning Thread Dictator
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophia2010 View Post
Hello everyone,
I have an adorable 8 year old yorkie mix who has had some basic training but has always had issues with barking. Currently, whenever she sees another dog, she barks intensely, but is never aggressive. In addition, she makes a dash whenever doors leading to outside are open. I want to train her to control her barking and sit when doors are open. 1. Is she too old to train? 2. How do I choose a great trainer for her and myself?
Thanks!
I don't think 8 is too old to train at all. Barking can be a tough one, though, because it's as natural to them as wagging their tails. You might call or stop by and talk to some trainers in your area and ask if A) They could help you; and B) how they would go about it. I'd be looking for someone who uses positive techniques.

I addressed the same problem when mine was a little younger. I taught "speak" by ringing the doorbell and rewarding a speak. Once he had that, I could work on "no speak" or "shush." Reward for speak and then reward for shush. Later, when they speak on their own, they'll know what shush means.

Beyond that, I always figure barking is a defense mechanism. They're trying to scare something away that they feel could hurt them. So I just try to teach them that whatever it is can't hurt them. In the case of dogs, I might set up a test with a friendly dog in the neighborhood. Have them come over, walk by while you're outside. Try to get to the point where they tolerate each other without barking.

The below link is to an article on barking from one of the best behaviorists out there. You might get some ideas there. https://www.dogstardaily.com/training/excessive-barking
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!