View Single Post
Old 03-22-2018, 04:47 PM   #11
Lovetodream88
Yorkie mom of 4
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkietalkjilly View Post
That is so true. Tibbe got pneumonia from aspirating his own saliva while reverse sneezing so introducing water has to be done with full knowledge of the mouth/bronchial structures and pulling back if the dog isn't cooperating.
Always have your vet show you how to do it if your dog is showing signs of early dehydration and he finds you competent enough. You have to be sure to use no more than 1/2 teaspoon and slowly and patiently, little bit at a time, wait for swallowing between each squirt, put it in the side pocket of dog's mouth without the muzzle pointing up, not squirting until you are certain the water won't shoot directly down the throat and go into the bronchi. Thankfully, I've only had to do it back when Tibbe was always nauseated and having repetitive GI problems, running diarrhea and showing signs of early dehydration. He just wouldn't drink any water but the vet showed me how to administer water. Saved trips to the emergency vet in the middle of the night.
I don’t think it’s a good idea to just syringe water into a dog just because the owner thinks they aren’t drinking enough. It should only ever been done under the care of a vet. If he is not drinking enough then the reason needs to be found out why or a band-aid that could backfire on themis just being placed on the issue. In your case you had reasons and underlying sickness.
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!