View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018, 01:49 PM   #1
addevo
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Advice for fostering a nursing mama and 5 puppies

We are expecting a new Yorkie family to foster within the next week. This will be our first experience fostering a whole family. I've only seen two photos of them. The mother appears to be a purebred Yorkie, and is about 10 lbs. The puppies are three weeks old. A couple of them appear to be a solid tan color so they are probably a mix. I've got a list of questions for the rescue, but was hoping I might get some advice from the many experts on this forum in advance.

What should I feed the mother? Any recommendations on brands? Dry or canned or a combination? Will she need any supplements?

When should I start offering the puppies solid food?

I'm planning on keeping them in an ex-pen lined with disposable pads. In the past, I've used produce boxes from Costco as beds when overnighting litters of puppies. They are higher on 3 sides and one has a lower edge so that mama can come and go, but puppies can't get out. But would those be safe to use for these tiny little ones? Or should I use the bottom half of a hard sided plastic crate? Something else?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
addevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!