Thread: Weak elbows
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2018, 09:05 AM   #7
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura View Post
Thank you Lady Jane, I would like to know how long was the the hospital stay and how long was the recovery, if you remember, Beau is very frightened of everyone except me, so I know it will be torture for him to be at the hospital in a cage.
We're running a yorkie geriatrics ward here anyway I have a 15 year old,Cisco, with congestive heart failure. A 14 year old, Zowie, who is blind; a 13 year old, Teddy who has cancer that is inoperable and he faints if he barks too much or gets too excited.
Wow! You do have a geriatrics ward! <3 Mine is close but I lost 3 over the past year so not as many now.

Maxwell was standing up the day after surgery (he was totally down when I took him there) .. he had other complications though, so he ended up in the hospital for a week. He had collapsed trachea and that ended up being a big problem because they go in through the front of the neck and things get moved. Anyway.....I honestly don't remember how long it took for his entire recovery. He had to learn to walk well again ... I had exercises for him to do. I don't recall it being lengthy or anything. Maxwell was a biter and didn't do well with strangers either...it killed me to leave him there. But, I was there every day so he knew I was still with him.

It is a difficult decision because, while it can be hugely successful, there still are risks to surgery. I had a foster who went in with a wobbly gait and had surgery to reduce pressure and she ended up never walking again after her surgery.

Each case is individual. I am glad I did Maxwell's surgery, but there are older dogs who would not fare as well as he did.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!