View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 11:14 AM   #3
moosie's mom
And Mimi's too!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstinard View Post
The canned food contains water, so that alters the protein and fat content as it is listed on the can, but if it's the same brand and formula, there probably isn't a real difference on a dry weight basis.

For instance, if the canned food says 5% protein and 4% fat, but it's 75% water, then the dry food basis is 20% protein and 16% fat, and that would be closer to what it should say on the bag of the dry kibble version of the food. But it's still the same amount of nutrients for your dog.

If you want to tell us the brand and formula you are looking at, I can look it up for you and let you know for sure if that is the case.
Thank you for your answer. So, I was hoping that the 5% protein was the true protein percent (and fat) that is listed on the canned food, but I guess not, right? I am looking for a low protein and low fat for my 11.5 year old kidney boy. Moose won't eat the Royal Canin or Hills KD

I have been feeding Natural Balance Canned Chicken and Sweet potato. It says it 5.5% protein and 3.5% fat. The dry kibble says 21.0% protein and 10% fat.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!