View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 09:17 AM   #4
pstinard
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary0814 View Post
Please, can anyone share any info on this, we're in shock. Ernie was only 5 yrs had perfect labs, always a strong heart and vet told us she had just started polishing his teeth and he appeared to be starting to come out of anethesia when his breathing and heart stopped. He was our baby and I can't hardly stand it, it makes no sense, please help me.
Was Ernie starting to come out of the anesthesia while his teeth were being polished? If that's the case, it sounds like there might have been a problem with the anesthesia. You will definitely need to ask your vet more questions. Here are links to a couple of good articles on dental cleaning and anesthesia from the American Veterinary Dental College:

Questions to ask before having the dental performed: Pet Dental Cleaning Questions for Your Veterinarian

General information about the dental cleaning procedure: Veterinary Dental Cleaning - Dog / Cat Teeth Cleaning - AVDC

I'm very sorry to hear about your experience. Most dogs have safe, uneventful dental cleanings, but no procedure involving anesthesia is 100% safe. You will have to ask your vet more questions to see if Ernie's death could have been prevented, or if anything unusual happened during the procedure that led to his death.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!