View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 02:02 PM   #3
matese
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Welcome to YT, is it just crate training you need help with.

At 6 yo if she has never been in a crate it can be hard to train her, some dogs hate crates and will never go in one.

How long of a period of time do you want her crated.

I would start by putting her bed, toys, if you want her to potty in the crate then put a potty pad in it.

If she's food motivated that would be ideal. This could be a long process if she is afraid of the crate or unwilling to go in it. Crates are meant to be their safe haven a place they like to be in.

I would start by putting her fav. treat inside the crate or if she loves her kibble you can use that, let her go in and get it, always leaving the crate door open. Do this several times through out the day for a week or two until you see she is comfortable going in the crate to get the food.

When you see she's comfortable going in I would then close the gate for 5 minutes then opening the gate and let her out, again doing this several times throughout the day. If you see she is not fussing and willing to stay those 5 minutes then increase the time to 10 minutes, again, if she is ok with 10 minutes increase it to 15 minutes and so on.

This will not be an over night process, it can take weeks to months if she fears the crate.

My boy is a rescue, I adopted him when he was 2 1/2 yo. He was not a abused dog, his prev. owner kept him crated all day until they returned home from work 8 hours. He cannot be crated. At the groomer when he's finished they put him in a crate and he goes insane. He's in it maybe 10 or 15 minutes until I pick him up, he is 6 yo now, we are a team for 4 years and he has never adjusted to being crated for 15 minutes once every 5 weeks.

Hopefully members that do crate can offer up advise, suggestions, tips.

Last edited by matese; 01-24-2018 at 02:07 PM.
matese is online now   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!