View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 10:26 AM   #5
pstinard
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrius View Post
Thanks so very much for your reply, Wylie's Mom. I agree and had actually questioned the Vet about Cushing's, a few years back. The Vet said that Wiston could possibly have Cushings but then he told us that the Meds used to treat Cushing's are sometimes harder on the pet than the disease itself. Hearing the latter concerned us given Winston at that time was already 12 years old. We were afraid that we might do more damage so we did not proceed with testing for Cushing's given it might require harmful meds, at least according to the Vet. Have you heard if this is true about Cushing's Meds?
The Thyroid meds have actually helped the little guy tremendously in the areas of strength and stability, just not hair growth. He does have some of the Cushing's symptoms though, hair loss, darkened skin. His water consumption is normal though as is his eating. He will not overeat and when he is full, he'll walk away from his food dish leaving what left to his brother and guardian, our 60 lb Vizsla MoMo.
I'm kind of horrified that your vet did not test for Cushings due to fear of side effects of medication. I agree with Wylie's Mom that you should see a veterinary dermatologist to get a proper diagnosis. Here's a link to an article about treatment for Cushings, including possible side effects of medication: https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/Con.../ucm151209.htm . That said, I'm hopeful, from your description of your dog's eating and drinking habits, that your dog does not have Cushings.

There are other conditions besides Cushings than can cause hair loss, including mange, other types of infection, other hormonal imbalances, Color Dilution Alopecia, etc. See https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions...ecia?page=show

The best way to get to the bottom of this and get your dog on the track to feeling better is to consult a veterinary dermatologist.
pstinard is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!