View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 07:59 AM   #1
Arrius
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Significant hair loss???

Greetings All,

First my apologies as I am new here and realize that this subject has likely been covered many times. About 5 years ago our Yorkie "Winston" Started getting a bald spot on his back just to the front of his tail, Vet gave him allergy meds. As time progressed, he lost even more hair on his back, Vet said Alopecia and their was not much that could be done for it. Eventually his enitire back became bald along with his tail and both sides, back to Vet numerous times again they said Alopecia. The exposed skin darkended to a black color with a red glow when in the light, Vet said some dogs skin is normally black and that this is normal. Finally he lost the black hair on his ears and has now lost the hair on the bridge of his nose and hair on head and around neck has become very thin. In all of this we did finally find out last year that his thyroid was low, no on meds, still loosing hair though. I had though maybe yeast was the culprit as little black spots would appear on him, out of nowhere, almost like flea dirt but no fleas. I asked the Vet about these spots recently and to my surprise she said such spots are not a sign of yeast but are a sign of trauma, whatever she means by that. Either way we have his thyroid back in range but at present he has lost his hair on, entire back, sides of both back legs in thigh area, bridge of now and down the upper rear of his back legs. The hair on his head and neck is thinning significantly. We also noticed him licking his front legs and on a close look there were areas of what looked like black dirt patches almost like a scab but not a scab, these also appeared out of nowhere, overnight but no fleas? Two Vets and both do not see these things as a problem but they have concerned us greatly. Our little guy is 16 years old, weighs 6.3 lbs., eats well, sleeps well and gets around very well buts is almost bald less a few areas like his paws and lower legs which still have full hair. Thanks for reading and any thoughts are sincerely appreciated.
Arrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!