View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 06:00 AM   #14
pstinard
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstinard View Post
I heard back from Dr. Meryl Littman of the University of Pennsylvania. No association between the mutant genes detected in Wheaten Terriers and Yorkies with PLN so far, so the DNA test does not appear to be applicable to Yorkies. I'm still in conversation with her, so I'll give another update later.
Regrettably, Dr. Meryl Littman has retired and finished up her research on genetic tests for PLN in dogs. She spent many years on research with Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers, tracking medical records and genetic markers, but is not planning on continuing her research with other breeds. There *may* be a genetic component to PLN in Yorkshire Terriers, but it's probably not identical to the Wheatens, so the test is not a one-size-fits-all kind of test . The University of Pennsylvania will perform the test on other breeds such as Yorkshire Terriers, but it's not diagnostic for Yorkies, and it costs $125 (if I recall correctly), so I can't recommend it. Its primary use is to test Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier breeding stock to make sure that carriers of the mutant genes are not used in breeding programs.

Last edited by pstinard; 01-24-2018 at 06:02 AM.
pstinard is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!