View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 06:57 PM   #1
Yorkielife12
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Potty training help!!!!!!

New member here and also first time posting! I need advice and serious help on potty training. This will be a long post!!! I have two yorkies: 5 year old male and 1 year old female. My male was so easy to potty train. We used the pee pee pads and he caught on quickly. I thought my female would be the same but nope!!! Our old home had hardwood floors and she seemed to be getting the hang of the pads. She would use them occasionally and I thought we were making progress. Then all of a sudden my grandpa died, so we had to move into my grandma’s to help with her. Problem: My grandma has carpet...she has a small area of tile in dining room and that’s it. So I have a large play pen set up there with food and water on one side and pee pad on another. She also has a smaller black crate containing her bed and blanket that’s also in the play pen. So it’s her own little space. She is potty trained as long as she stays in her play pen!! She knows to use the pee pad and does both #1 and 2 on it. But the minute she’s out of her play pen and roaming in the house she pees/poops on carpet, furniture, you name it. We have tried limiting the area she can roam but that doesn’t help. I hate to confine her 24 hrs a day when my male has free roam
It has got to the point where my fiancé and I are so frustrated that we bought diapers just so we could let her out in the house to play. (I know big mistake). But my grandma will not allow ANY accidents on the carpet. She wants her to be trained but does not understand!!!! I’m at my breaking point. I know how to train using pads. I get her out of the play pen, watch her every move and try to take her to pad before she pees. If she has accident, don’t scold but take her to pad and say potty cue word. But this obviously means she will have occasional accidents. And my grandma won’t allow it. Her house her rules. Ugh!!! So now I’m getting her out and doing all the above but still putting the diaper on so that the carpet remains clean. Poor thing is completely confused. What should I do??? She thinks she can just use diaper and I’ll change her. I do NOT want my dog wearing diapers the rest of her life. I have no one else to stay with my grandma but I’ve honestly considered moving. Most stressful thing I’ve ever done. I’m a hospice nurse. I work 13 hr shifts. Fiancé works full time and is in college. Grandma cannot take her out to potty. So pee pads are our only option. Please tell me someone has some advice. Or at least shoot some prayers up for me!! I’ve called at least 20 dog trainers and NONE train using pads.
Yorkielife12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!