Thread: Dog flu?
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2018, 05:10 AM   #14
matese
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkpal View Post
It sounds highly contagious and your information reinforces my thoughts that Piper should get vaccinated (haven't lined-up veterinarian since moving). But you're not planning to do so unless your vet contacts you? Ummm, what to do? What to do?
I would call few vet offices in your area and just ask if they have treated any dogs for the H3N2 or H3N8 influenza in your area,

Some years back when dogs were getting infected with Lyme disease in my county, on one of my visits my vet advised me about this and suggested to get the dogs vaccinated. In my county Lyme vaccine is now a core vaccine. Do not go by what "my" vet told me. I have been using this vet since the 80"s. Last year when I read about this new strain of flu it was in the Ill. area, I knew if there was a threat in my county she would advise me. Yesterday when I was researching this flu I read it was in NY, NJ which are my neighboring states, in read further I saw it was also in Pa.

I just saw my vet this past Sunday, I "know" if there was cause for concern she would have told me, but to put my mind at ease I sent her an email inquiring about vaccinating my kid. Reason why she told me if there is a threat she would notify me.

I have to assume any vet with steady clients do the same thing. You do not have a vet, so who is going to inform you? Make some calls to vets in your area, ask about this flu, make several calls to see if they all tell you the same thing. This is my advise to you and anyone that reads this thread.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!