View Single Post
Old 01-04-2018, 12:08 AM   #6
chattiesmom
Donating YT 10K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskayorkie View Post
Aww, thanks, Cindy.

Through trial and error over Eddie's 13 years, I do feel very comfortable with winter conditions and Yorkies.

* I'm a firm believer that simpler is better with booties. If you buy bulky booties with heavy soles or hard leather, it's likely to take longer for them to adjust to them, if ever. They also trip if they're too bulky. I use homemade fleece socks with stretchy Velcro on the ends to keep them snug. All you need is to keep their delicate pads off the icy snow. You don't need to provide support. They are so light and unobtrusive, the dogs quickly forget they have them on. One tip: Don't let them walk around the house long with them on. They're likely to slip on tile floors and get skittish even before they go outside.

* To condition them to walk in them, toss a favorite toy or have them walk a couple steps toward a treat.

* With coats, I pick out the ones that allow freedom of movement. The secret to staying warm in the winter -- as competitive runners and skiers will attest -- is to keep moving. And a heavy coat with long legs and restrictive hood is no fun to walk in. The booties are going to be the main defense, so pick a light coat that gives them freedom of movement.

* On walks, keep them moving. They're not going to generate heat if you carry them around or put them on a sled. (That said, I'll pick them up and put them in my coat if I think they're getting cold).

* Ease them into it and make sure they're having fun and you're not having to drag them. If you can keep the walk fun for 5 minutes, that's enough for the first day. Them just build on it. Having grown up in a cold-weather state, mine are good for 30 minutes in temperatures as low as -5. Much colder and I start reducing the walk time.

* For potty breaks, consider putting some dry hay or cardboard in a protected area outside that they can get to easily so you don't have to put booties on just for a pee break.
Thank you, Mike! What fantastic advice! When the going gets really cold, count on Alaskayorkie for good solid advice. 😀
chattiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!