View Single Post
Old 12-15-2017, 08:31 AM   #4
pstinard
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetodream88 View Post
Not enough research has been done on it. It is also on the toxic list for dogs.
Here is a skeptvet blog from last January about the latest information on the use of medical marijuana for pets: Evidence Update- New Review of Medical Marijuana Research | The SkeptVet

The conclusion is that although there is evidence for beneficial effects treating some conditions in humans, there is no good evidence yet for treating dogs or other animals. Dogs metabolize many drugs differently from humans.

I posted in a thread elsewhere an article stating that THC (the active ingredient of marijuana that makes people "high") is lethal to dogs in large quantities because they don't metabolize it same way that humans do. Here is a link to an article about studies of THC toxicity in dogs. Some of them are real horror stories: https://works.bepress.com/harold-herzog/99/download/

I have also read elsewhere that CBD products (which don't make people "high") are less toxic to dogs, and indeed, there are some commercial products such as "Canna-Pet" containing CBD on the market. HOWEVER, that product has NOT been tested in clinical settings, and all information about that is anecdotal. Also, the capsules contain ground-up hemp powder and I couldn't even find an analysis of the number of milligrams of CBD that each capsule contain.

I would steer completely clear of products for dogs containing any THC whatsoever, and would only use a CBD product if recommended by a reputable veterinarian with experience using it in their practice.
pstinard is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!