View Single Post
Old 12-01-2017, 09:27 AM   #334
canana
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contance View Post
My yorkie's hate to go out when it's raining . So , I was wondering if a potty patch as the store calls them . Anyway , they look like grass and it's on a tray that drains into a container you empty . Will not go out and if I take them out , they will not go potty help please
I have a porch potty on my balcony for those heave rainstorm days. It's quite useful! The only downside is that I have to empty the pee bucket into the toilet because I can't exactly pour pee onto the street.

If you live in a home...it's definitely worth it, because you could have it in a covered area and just hose it down. If you need to empty the container, **huge tip** I found that adding vinegar to the water that you use to 'rinse out' the spots they pee on makes the bucket of pee not smell. Otherwise, the stink is quite unbearable.

This is them using it for the first time:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMC1txtB...ttie.and.casie

Quote:
Originally Posted by debMtalk812 View Post
Hello. I am new to the forum and a new Yorkie mom. I have gotten many tips on the training issues, but have a question about my male yorkie. I am ready to have him neutered as he is 8 mos old. He is pee pad trained but not potty trained yet. Ive tried to have him on a schedule and no matter how often I took him out, he had no clue he was to potty outside. Its raining a lot now (I live in the no west) so he wont go when its raining. I hope having him fixed will help also. He is now lifting his leg instead of squatting. Does anyone know if he will stop this when he is neutered? I do have to have him on a leash until playtime to contain him to the pads and put him in his pen at night. It is confining but dont want my home ruined while he is still being trained. Also, I wonder how to transfer him from pee pads to outdoors totally? They are definately way harder to train than larger breeds. Thanks for any helpful input!

Debi
Hi Debi, if your area has dogs, they will generally like to pee in the same pee-smelling areas. If there aren't (lucky you!), then I'd take some of the pee from your baby and pour/rub it in an area outside that you want him to pee at.

Neutering him may or may not resolve the leg hiking thing. If he continues to hike the leg, it's just a part of him you'll learn to accept and love.

Once he potties outdoors and you give him the "goooooood boy!!!!" a few times, he'll know going outdoors is a good thing. I've found they like going outside more. It's just in their nature. I have a potty pad for Casie who can't hold her pee as long as Scottie can, so she uses both. It sounds like you're on the right path though (good job with keeping him on a leash and scheduling his potty time!!).
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!