View Single Post
Old 11-25-2017, 05:02 PM   #3
alaskayorkie
Banning Thread Dictator
Donating Member

Main thing is to keep them moving. If you let them stop and sniff around as they like to do in the summer, they're gonna get cold. I bring toys to chase, find hills to run up and down, etc.

Footwear are critical in the winter. I use simple fleece booties to get their pads off the icy snow. It takes a little work to get them used to them -- use a toy or a treat to lure them to walk -- but it's worth it.

I use a coat too, but I try to find coats that don't restrict their movement. You don't want them to be uncomfortable.

Another thing: Ease them in to winter. Don't expect them to start with a 2-mile walk. Start slow with a couple hundred yards. Keep the walks fun. If they every balk and show discomfort, think about quitting early.

Here are a couple pics from this week of my guys in 10 degrees F or so. With a coat and booties, they're good to -10F.
Attached Thumbnails
Exercise/walk in the winter-img_6931_yt.jpg   Exercise/walk in the winter-img_6823_yt.jpg  

Last edited by alaskayorkie; 11-25-2017 at 05:03 PM.
alaskayorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!