View Single Post
Old 10-27-2017, 09:05 PM   #5
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryllynn View Post
The vet just said to feed her chicken and rice for seven days. And not use the blue dog food again. I didn't really like her other suggestions for dog food. Nothing prescription was suggested.
Why didn't you like the vet's suggestions? You really have to be careful about reading things on the internet....there are many people ranking dog foods who don't know what they are talking about! Goes with anything really....the internet is a great thing, but not good for many other things. Lots of false information.

Look at the credentials of the people who are giving out advice!

Most vets know a lot more about nutrition than people give them credit for. I listen to my vets....they have never steered me wrong. I have had pups with serious medical conditions live far past their expectations and I thank my wonderful vets for that!

Many of the self proclaimed experts advise foods based on ingredients only and they don't give any credence at all to who is packaging the foods. I have seen so many recalls due to bad packaging. I have also seen some so called 5 star foods on recall lists!

I feed my dogs Hill's Ideal Balance....the ones who are not on prescription foods that is. I do have multiples because I also foster. I never have issues with that food. I know people who use Royal Canin for Yorkshire Terriers and their pups do very well. Those are two very reputable companies.

You do have to find what works best for your pup. I am wondering what Taylor asked...what foods did your vet suggest?

Here is a link to a site that is run by a vet nutritionist www.petdiets.com ... if you go to the FAQs you can see she has an extensive library of information. You can also ask her a question and she will answer you. You had mentioned that you would home cook....she can formulate a diet for your pup. I think it is around $25. There are free diets at: www.balanceit.com When you home cook you do need to add supplements. Both of those sites explain that.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!