View Single Post
Old 10-05-2017, 11:03 AM   #19
Lovetodream88
Yorkie mom of 4
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by princetonbaby View Post
hi all!

We went to the vet the day after posting, and the vet agrees that it is a bruise. I was pretty upset, I don't like even thinking about him being hurt.

Everything else on him looked great and he wasn't and still isn't showing any signs of being in any pain or any type of behavior change, including being timid or sleeping away from me (when he was a year old we boarded him for a week at a terrible place, and when he came home he was a different dog for a few days including sleeping in strange spots in the house and being scared when the door at the vet shut when I took him right in after picking him up from that wretched place - thats another terrible hard to think about story for another time) thankfully he's acting just like himself and following me around room to room and curling up right on me or next to me as usual.

Anyway, I really do want to know what happened. He doesn't mind it being touched or even pushed on, so I don't think it was an impact bruise, like something hitting him hard. I do have a hypothesis...

(Note: I trust my brother and his wife with him, and he's spent time there before several times while I've had to travel and has always been fine. He isn't afraid of them or show any signs of fear or timidness etc)

This is what I think *might* be what happened and I've asked my sister in law to talk to the kids. My dog is very active, and he's not the best boy on a leash. Seeing as how the bruise is under and sort of in the shape of the chest patch of the harness he had on, I think it may have been one of two things:
Either he was yanked hard by the kids while he was leashed or he was yanking himself very hard (which is something he does, but that I immediately correct/stop moving) He gets tunnel vision when he is outside and his one goal is to PEE ON ALL THE THINGS. So he tends to yank and pull very hard. Walks are workouts for me between keeping him focused on walking and not stopping at every tree or structure we pass and allowing him time to pee on things as a reward for walking how he is supposed to.

I can imagine that the 10 year old while taking him out to walk/pee doesn't know that his very hard and constant forceful pulling could be bad for him and I didn't think to teach him how to correct this (nor mentioned it to my brother/SIL)

This is what I *hope* is the cause, because thinking it was done intentionally or recklessly really makes my heart hurt. But because he isn't sore or acting any differently than he normally does, I really think it may have been this.

I can't image my tiny little 5 year old nephew or 3 year old niece yanking him hard enough to make that happen. I can't imagine the 10 year old hurting him on purpose.

I was pretty upset about it, just because its so jarring and the thought of being hurt makes me sick. But I'm going to pop in and chat with the kids tomorrow after school to see if they can tell me anything (without leading them) about his weekend.

The bruise looks a bit better already. It's not as red, and has darkened up in some spots to look more like a bruise. It still doesnt seem to be tender or to be affecting him in any way, which I am relieved about.

He's been getting EXTRA lap time though as I want him right by me every second right now out of worry, although he is fine! lol.

Thanks for the responses and concern. I'll update again as things clear up or if there's any changes or new info about how this even happened.
I absolutely do not think it was from pulling on the harness. My 10 year old could be a weight puller the way she has always pulled on her harness and never has it caused a bruise.I think something else had to have happened. That is why they don't really recommend small dogs to be around little kids.
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!