View Single Post
Old 10-02-2017, 10:55 PM   #1
princetonbaby
Yorkie Yakker

Default Huge Bruise Or Huge Rash?

Hi all,

Earlier today I was giving Princeton some belly rubs, I just picked him up yesterday evening from my brothers house as I had been out of town. When we came home yesterday, I took him out and then he curled up in his crate for a really long sleep. Which is normal for him, but also my brother has a 10,5,3, and almost 1 year old so I assumed he didn't get much napping done the 2.5 days he was there.

After he napped, we went out and then it was time for me to go to bed, so I did and he hopped in with me. His harness was on this whole time and I didn't notice this but,

Today when I was rubbing his belly, I noticed what looked to me like a little redness or something in his armpit area where the harness goes. I removed the harness and the whole right side of his chest, up to his shoulder and neck was an angry red color. I panicked. I thought it was a bruise then I thought it was a rash and I honestly don't know which.

I combed his fur and noticed a small area of what looked to be like some flea dirt near the redness. But I looked him over thoroughly and see no other evidence of fleas. He hasn't been biting or scratching the area at all.

He seems normal to me behavior wise and energy wise. Eating, drinking, peeing and pooping normally.

I gave him another bath (he'd had one prior to going to my brothers house) and got a better look at the are while he was wet, It's really large.

He isn't bothered by me touching it or rubbing it. I called the vet ER and they said if it doesn't seem to be spreading I can probably wait to take him to his normal vet in the morning. Naturally I can't relax, even though he is sleeping by me right now just fine.

After a few hours since his bath, I looked over it again, and I can't tell for certain but I think it might be darkening up and maybe purpling up a bit like its a brusie and not a rash.

I asked my sister in law if she noticed him biting or scratching the area or if anythign happened that I should know about. Since the redness/bruise/rash is under where his harness usually sits I wondered if one of the kids maybe yanked him too hard while playing with him? But would it be like that?

I will post some pictures later. I've been looking the web over for pics of rashes and bruising. It looks more like bruising to me now but it could be a reaction to a bug bite. He seems fine but I was going to give him benadryl until I decided to wait to determine if its a rash or a bruise because I really can't tell.

It's nearly 3am and I'm keeping an eye on him and will be calling our vet in the morning. Anyone have experience with reaction rashes (there is no bumps, wounds, cuts, puss or oozing) or bruising on their little guy (and what it looks like exactly?)

I dont have any clippers to get the hair away from the areas so I will wait for the vet to trim if necessary.
princetonbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!