View Single Post
Old 09-22-2017, 04:40 PM   #8
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBugs Momma View Post
Thanks for the compliment and don't feel bad, for your not the only one that thought JB was a female..hence the opposite. I got him in the month of June so I thought the name appropriate.

I know in another thread I asked how you made out when you went to the cardiologist and all you gave me was a thumbs-up. Can you be more specific as to how things went? How was the echo? Did they put him on any meds, etc?
Oh, I attached my thread to it, I thought you saw. Here is a link again:

http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/yor...cardigram.html

And oopssss! I knew he was a boy, don't know what I was thinking.

Here's my post:

Quote:
Jackson is 8 years old. He will be 9 in October (honestly, where does the time go?)

Back in late March, we went for his rabies vaccine and our vet thought she heard a heart murmur during the exam. Took me totally by surprise. Nobody had ever told me before so I assumed it was new or never heard before. He's still VERY active, hikes regularly, swims, etc.

Anyway, we went back to our vet for a re-listen a little over a month later. She didn't hear the heart murmur that time. When she adjusted her stethoscope she said she could MAYBE hear it very faintly but it wasn't jumping out at her. In other words if she wouldn't have heard it last time she likely wouldn't have heard it this time. It's difficult though because his little heart beats so fast because he so anxious and nervous at the vets.

We had just been discussing getting him a dental cleaning this year as he's in need of one. She said she would be comfortable putting him under for a dental because their procedures are already very safe and heart friendly. She did not think teeth were awful but there was a couple questionable areas on his teeth and she knows how prone Yorkies are to teeth issues.

Basically my options basically were:
- re-check every 6 months with her so she can listen. I don't really do anything different.

- they do offer ultrasounds including for the heart at their office now but they only come as scheduled and I would've had to drop him off because there's like a four hour window of time. It's cheaper at $350 and then they send images off to cardiologist for review.

- go to the cardiologist and it would be an appointment where I am with him the whole time and then we immediately leave after with immediate answers and results.

We opted for going to the cardiologist for an echo before he goes under anesthesia later for a dental. I was so worried about bringing him because I knew how stressed he was going to be. He hates vets in general but he does not like being pinned down or held down in any way. He doesn't even enjoy being held by me. I was so proud of him -- he was super scared but the 1/2 pill of Trazodone I had given him prior did help (he wasn't shaking as much as he usually does) and I got to sit at his head the whole time and talk to him and calm him. He stayed still for 15+ minutes so could get a good reading and I could see it on the screens too as she explained.

Anywho, maybe I did the extreme by paying $640 for an echo + cardio visit but he's my boy and I'd rather know as I was driving myself crazy any time I thought he was breathing different or making any kind of noise lol. I'd rather find the problem now before it potentially gets bad.

ONTO THE GOOD NEWS... he *does* have a murmur but it's nothing to be concerned about at this present time. He has the same anesthesia protocols as a healthy dog would they basically told me. But they still forward all the info to my regular vet.

Diagnosis:

- Mild increase in right and left ventricular outflow tract velocity
> innocent cause for soft heart murmur
- Trace tricuspid regurgitation
- Normal heart size and function

No cardiac medicine is recommended at this time.

Diet and Exercise - remain the same. Just watch out for vigorous activity on humid days.

At home monitoring:
Jackson is currently at low risk for clinical signs of heart disease. However, please monitor for signs of cough, respiratory difficulty, Exercise intolerance, weakness, or lethargy.

So overall I'd say I'm glad I went for peace of mind. I now know. I brought this little stinker into my life & he's brought so much joy into mine, I knew this was something that needed to be done. Also thankful for a wonderful vet who pays attention and is so great and trustworthy.

Last edited by Britster; 09-22-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!