View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 03:41 AM   #5
JuneBugs Momma
Senior Yorkie Talker

Vet visit went well and JB was a good boy as always. I went in expecting the worst, but, was at ease after the vet did an xray and explained to me what is going on.

Xray showed he has a slightly enlarged heart due to the mur mur and it having to work twice as hard to perform it's duties. Oddly, there is NO signs of fluid in the lungs. I was confused as to then why his breathing has been more rapid and shallow and only coughs/chokes VERY seldom. Vet told me that his heart is enlarged vertically and not horizontally. This means that the heart is pushing upwards on his trachea making his breathing labored.

With that being said, we left with Vetmedin and Enalapril with no reason to be on any Lasix meds due to him not retaining any fluid (thank goodness). I caught this early enough that the meds should be able to do their work to slow down the load on the heart and allowing the heart to shrink. If this works then a diagnosis of CHF looks negative. This is a progressive disease and the meds only work for so long. If I would have waited until he was worse (lethargic, fainting, blue-greyish gums) then he would be in full CHF and his lifespan, even once treatment is started, would have been much less.

I see the vet in 2 weeks then have an appointment with a cardiologist also in 2 weeks. Not taking any chances and thank God for pet insurance!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!