View Single Post
Old 09-05-2017, 05:49 AM   #3
Mother Z
Yorkie Talker

Default Outcome

Things definitely did not go as planned. Mitsy went into labor about 12:30 am Wednesday morning and had a pup at 3:30. That delivery was completely normal but although the puppy was active he would never suckle. He would snuggle up to tit but never open his mouth. We allowed him to try on his own for a bit and then tried to guide him. He had no trouble finding it but would never actually feed. After somewhere between 1 1/2 and 2 hours after his birth we started giving him some of the homemade formula with goat's milk, water, yogurt, egg yolks and karo syrup. During this time the mom completely quit being in labor... she showed no signs of discomfort at all. I stayed awake with her all night and waited and waited and waited. Finally, when my vet's office opened I took them in. She was given 2 doses of oxytocin 30 minutes apart and still nothing. They performed a c section but lost one of the puppies during surgery.

Came home later Wednesday with mom and the 2 puppies. Vet could not get puppy #1 to feed either so tube fed him during that day. I continued to tube feed thru the next night but pup still faded away on Thursday.

So, we are down to mom and 1 puppy. Mom recovering very well from surgery and puppy is doing very good and is gaining weight at every weigh in (I weigh him twice a day) He is getting so chunky my husband is calling him Tonka. ;-)
Mother Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!