View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 09:50 PM   #14
4OC
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Spay/Neuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018YorkieMama View Post
Conventional wisdom dictates that puppies should be spayed at six-nine months. Today someone told me that age range is far too soon and can cause health problems. She sent me articles about serious health problems which have been linked to early spay/neuter and advised 18/24 months as the best time to have the surgery performed.

What do you think?
ASPCA now does spay/neuter at 2 - 3 pounds. No health problems have been reportedoing to my knowledge. Spoke to my vet about when to neuter a dog I fostered 3 weeks and he said at 6 months the dog has normally grown the their full height and are well able to withstand that surgery. There are multiple risks in waiting such as cancer of the reproductive systems. I will stay with the 6-month. Females are spayed by doing a removal of all the reproductive organs which causes frequent urination as they grow older. The ovaries help control this but when they are removed this becomes a problem even in women. However this will occur in any dog that has been spayed regardless of the age according to my vet.
4OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!