View Single Post
Old 09-02-2017, 07:02 AM   #8
yorkiemini
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britster View Post
Awww I'm glad you're trying something. It's horrible to see them suffering with anxiety.

I love Trazodone for Jackson. I only give it when he REALLY needs it. Xanax did *nothing* for him. So that's why I need something that works for some stressful events. He doesn't really need it 90% of the time.

Jackson gets really bad anxiety during long travel, thunder, fireworks, etc. He can send himself into a total panic - pacing, panting, shaking. He also does not like vets or groomers. He shakes so bad. It's funny because in 90% of his life, he's a wonderful "bombproof" dog -- he's good on family vacations, he loves exploring new places/towns/etc, meeting new dogs and people, etc etc.

Anyway he is 18lbs and I have found 1/2 of a pill relaxes him for about 4 hours. I have to time it right. If I give it too close to the stressful event, it doesn't help much. I have to give it about 1 hour prior. What I like about it is that it doesn't really "sedate" him. It actually takes his anxiety away where he's able to go lay down and relax. I can almost see the weight come off his shoulders.

Prior we tried Rescue Remedy, calming chews, sprays, Thundershirt, etc, to no avail.
Is that 1/2 of a 50 mg pill?
Thanks. Have thought about trying it for fireworks days!
Xanax works good for Cali, too, and it kicks in fast.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!