View Single Post
Old 09-01-2017, 06:06 PM   #5
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstinard View Post
Thanks! I was actually able to talk to the vet about Bella today. She talked about Trazodone for acute anxiety attacks and Prozac for long term anxiety. We decided to start Bella on Prozac to see how she does on that first. We'll start her first thing in the morning, and I'll give updates on her progress. She said it could take several weeks before we notice a difference.
Awww I'm glad you're trying something. It's horrible to see them suffering with anxiety.

I love Trazodone for Jackson. I only give it when he REALLY needs it. Xanax did *nothing* for him. So that's why I need something that works for some stressful events. He doesn't really need it 90% of the time.

Jackson gets really bad anxiety during long travel, thunder, fireworks, etc. He can send himself into a total panic - pacing, panting, shaking. He also does not like vets or groomers. He shakes so bad. It's funny because in 90% of his life, he's a wonderful "bombproof" dog -- he's good on family vacations, he loves exploring new places/towns/etc, meeting new dogs and people, etc etc.

Anyway he is 18lbs and I have found 1/2 of a pill relaxes him for about 4 hours. I have to time it right. If I give it too close to the stressful event, it doesn't help much. I have to give it about 1 hour prior. What I like about it is that it doesn't really "sedate" him. It actually takes his anxiety away where he's able to go lay down and relax. I can almost see the weight come off his shoulders.

Prior we tried Rescue Remedy, calming chews, sprays, Thundershirt, etc, to no avail.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!