View Single Post
Old 08-24-2017, 01:22 PM   #1
Yorkie-Aunt
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default doggie "aunt" needs help w/aggressive door guarding

Hi,
Am dogsitting my sister's 12 y.o. yorkie mix, "Chewy" while she is away for a month. My mother sat her first two weeks with no problems, and last nite I picked her up for the last two weeks. Chewy is a happy, affectionate dog, but does have her moments.

Right now she has decided that she wants to guard the back door (no doggy door present) to the yard/home exit. Have tried treat baiting and she was not interested. If I get near her she gives a warning growl, ears down and fully in attack mode.

I don't need to leave today, but I do need to come up with a way to diffuse this situation, so that we can enjoy our two weeks together. I called a local yorkie breeder who suggested calming tablets. I went to Amazon to research and there are a lot of mixed reviews on their affectiveness and safety.

I do have a crate in the garage that belonged to my recently passed dearly missed pet-friend. Chewy has not been crate trained and think it would only make the situation worse. It was also suggested that i throw a blanket over her in order to get to door. This is my first time with my sister's tiny dog and I don't want to add to Chewie's stress.

Your input to help me in this situation and hopefully sidetracking similar future episodes are greatly appreciated!!
Yorkie-Aunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!