View Single Post
Old 08-08-2017, 09:04 PM   #4
BayleighL
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyandbentley View Post
Hi I just joined the forum and wanted to talk to the lady with an overprotective Yorkie. He gets furious, barks and tries to bite when someone gets close and hugs me. She said it was like having a jealous boyfriend and it really is. I don't know what to do with him when this happens.

Re-socializing requires time and consistency. We had a previous pup that had some minor issues. We learned that she misread why we held her from a trainer. She needed confidence to be okay on her own - hence using the leash training. She knew we were in charge but gave her the chance to feel confident. When guests came we would greet them with her on the leash and keep her with us (not holding her) until she relaxed around whoever was there. Then slowly we gave her permission to be on her own. We avoided using treats. You could start people training in a neutral zone, too. Our pup LOVES Home Depot. lol

In situations with other animals we sought neutral ground where no dog "owned" the territory and started there. If we sensed another dog had its own issues we stayed clear.

With our new pup we found a breeder who really socialized the litter before they were sold. That made a huge difference. Then as soon as she was with us we started training her not to bark and jump. She's goes with us as frequently as we can (but certainly not all the time) so meets a wide variety of people. We worked hard to socialize her to grandkids, which was a challenge just because little kids are a bit unpredictable. One set has goats and she really does not like that scent.

As time has gone on, she definitely knows what a doorbell is and will want to answer the door. But she has to stop, sit, and be calm before we open the door. She has never been aggressive though. When a stranger comes to the door she hangs back and waits for our reaction before the little tail wags. We are able to hold this pup when we answer the door now as she's quite confident.

It does take time and is likely a life-long challenge for your dog. But he'll get it. If you need help, do seek out a visit or two with a trainer.
BayleighL is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!