Thread: Nervous yorkie
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2017, 02:56 PM   #6
BayleighL
YT Addict

Default Transition anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeebear View Post
We recently sold our gas motor home and purchased a diesel motor home. Along with it being diesel it has airbreaks that when released makes a lot of noise. Once she get startled by the noise she won't come down. Can someone recommend something that I can give her to calm her down while we are on the road traveling? She is fine when we get set up in a park she very upset while we are moving.

It took us a while to find a combination of routine and access to needs fulfillment to help our yorkie understand travel in motorhome was an adventure. She was frantic if we tried to use a seatbelt. So, our standard now is that she is on a leash that allows her access to food, water and a piddle pad. She helps us pack the MH for the trip and each time is filled with excitement and a treat. When we leave, the leash is hooked over the connection of a seatbelt so she can't bolt but has her access. When we are headed down the road we play the same song everytime, "On the Road Again" and she settles right down. She will sit in my lap, wander on her leash for a drink, food or potty. The only time she will seem nervous is when we have a pit stop for gas and for the first few minutes when we are in and out doing set-up. But it's mostly because she wants to explore.

We use a vet Rx for flying, a much more difficult time. But we find she's actually learning that routine, too. The key to the effectiveness of the sedative (acepromazine) is to give the smallest possible dose about 30 minutes before desire effect is needed, give with a small amount of food and water, and provide your pet a safe place to be while sedated, and don't repeat doses too soon or for any other purpose. Just like all sedatives there are risks. So, do see your vet, but if you haven't already establish a routine. I was surprised how much that helped.
BayleighL is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!