View Single Post
Old 07-22-2017, 07:41 AM   #2
BayleighL
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by James and Loki View Post
So Loki is now 4 months old. I have a doggie flap door he can go in and out of to my balcony to do his business any time he wants. He was doing great. He would go out the door in the day and even at night while we slept. I foolishly scrubbed the balcony with mr clean 2 weeks ago because it stinks of urine and I like to sit on the balcony to ready. Now he doesn't go outside in the night, he just pee in the living room.

Today I'm going to wash the balcony with dish soap and water to hopefully rid the scent of mr clean. Is there any tips on how to hit the restart button on training to go outside on his own again. If I put him outside and wait on the other side of the door he'll go no problem because he wants back in.

So very frustrating. He absolutely knows peeing inside is wrong. 4 hrs after he pees and i wake up to it and bring him to the spot and he'll put his ears back and walk outside as if to say sorry. He's very stubborn.

Any advice on retraining would be great. Thanks.

You should make sure he is not having a urinary health issue that is causing he coincidentally with timing of the cleaning to start peeing inside.

If he has a crate or kennel, you might train him to sleep in there at night since dogs won't usually soil their crate. You could also create a small space for him with pet fencing right up against the doggy door so he has two choices, sleep or go out to pee. Put his bed or blanket in there. I would put something under this area that is moisture proof in case he has an accident there he isn't damaging the floor.

You could also put a training pad with an attractant in it out on the balcony to train him to go on that pad rather than just anywhere on the balcony. The attractant will help guide him. We use one by simple solutions and have a flexible silicone mat for it to keep it in place.

I would suggest rinsing the balcony with a dilution of baking soda to absorb/neutralize the odor of the cleaner you used.
BayleighL is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!