View Single Post
Old 07-14-2017, 07:44 AM   #3
maxdog
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janicecue View Post
I had the same problem with our now 8 yr old and again with our puppy siblings. We have pretty much nipped the puppy barking in the bud. Whenever one of the puppies started barking at anything, we let them bark about 4 times and then squirt water at them and say sternly "enough"! The water startles them and they look at me and stop barking. I praise and praise them and happily say "thank you", "good quiet". It didn't take but a few times squirting them for them to "get it". I read this tip some where, most likely here on YT. In the past, we had Old English Sheepdogs and learned this method in obedience class, as well. Some dogs don't react to water, but do to lemon juice.

Yorkies just have to alert us to every sound or sight! It's their terrier nature. I want our 3 Yorkies to sound their alarm, but NOT the continuous barking, barking, barking! Now we let them alert us with the few barks and say, "enough", they stop barking and we praise big time, thanking them for peace and quiet! Keep in mind this is 3 Yorkies telling us to pay attention (loudly) and then being quiet. Maybe this works because they have done their job in alerting their Alpha! Best of luck! Our Yorkie kids are priceless!
Janice and John and Ginger, Anise and Basil
I think this is all good advice except for the lemon juice. Lemon juice will burn and irritate the eyes. Every one has their own training methods but I am not a proponent of pain as a training tool. I have heard the water method works quite well. I need to do this with Max as he is a yapper. When he sees me grab the peanut butter jar he just won't shut up. Sasha will sit there quietly and wait but he goes bonkers. But when it comes to seeing a rabbit on the deck they both go into the "intruder alert" mode!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!