View Single Post
Old 07-08-2017, 03:13 PM   #5
docmartin
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetodream88 View Post
LP puts wear and tear on the CCL and can cause CCL tears. Doing LP surgery on an dog not a puppy could cause two surgeries to be necessary because the CCL could still tear even after the knee is fixed. My 10 year old about 6 years about went to the orthopedic surgeon after limping and had a partial CCL tear so we fixed her LP at that time as well. They suspected the CCL would tear in the other leg in the next 18 months. It didn't tear and 2 years ago I got the other Knee done because it seemed to be bothering her and then about a year latter the CCL tore and that meant another surgery. LP surgery is a very tough surgery on the dog it's 8 weeks minimum of crate rest and it's extremely painful. I would not do it unless necessary. I would also never have it done by a regular vet because most of those have to be redone. It should be done by a board certified orthopedic surgeon.
Thank you, your response is very much in line with my thoughts. We thought of seeing a registered orthopaedic surgeon to get x rays and an opinion. Crystal is an athletic little so and so and loves leaping of chairs etc onto hard surfaces, We have placed 'landing mats' in her favorite places now to help her.
docmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!