View Single Post
Old 07-01-2017, 08:10 AM   #1
docmartin
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Do all luxating patellas need operation?

My eldest daughter Crystal (4 years) has developed this condition now in both hind legs. She first went to stage one in the right rear when she was about 18 months old and never effects her alacrity. However following a recent attempt to wrestle the mailman through the letterbox (a favorite time of the day, not to be missed) she landed awkwardly and I feared the worse as she yelped on landing. I gently stretched the left leg and following a little pop she was her usual self again.

It does sporadically re-occur usually self correcting itself. We visited the vets this week and he confirmed my observation about the recent right hind leg condition. Surgery is about $2500.

Forgetting the money, is surgery necessary (risk etc)? Or being a young dog still, would the curse of arthritis catch her up in later years? - something I now know all about myself.

We have laminate floors throughout and I'm considering providing 'landing carpets' for those leaps off the furniture she lavishes makes with all the skills of a down hill slalommer. Her midget sister (Biewer) is under 5lbs and a year her junior with deliciously stubby little legs. She has her own staircases throughout the bungalow to ascend the heights and tends to gently hop down from the bed or couch with a far more cautious approach. Her patella's are just fine, but she has far sturdier pins and seemingly a lower gravitational centre it seems.

Has anyone been though this dilemma? Do please respond if so, your experience would be so much appreciated ...
docmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!