View Single Post
Old 06-27-2017, 01:06 PM   #12
JennaPenny
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristaPelaez View Post
Hi,

I am hoping someone might know the cause of some episodes my 3 year old Yorkie has had...

Symptoms:
He will completely tense up, spread out his legs, and grip the floor. Sometimes he shifts to one side, and is completely stiff as he spreads out his legs. The first and second times it happened he threw up, and one time he defecated. This third time (today) he just stiffened up, but I tried holding him, and that seemed to calm him down. I noticed he was panting slightly as I held him. I thought he had recovered, so I went to put him down, but he spread out all his legs and stiffened as he approached the floor.
He seems aware as this happening, nothing significant happens with his eyes, but he doesn't look at me if I call him. It is almost like he is paralyzed - he just stands there gripping the floor. Each episode has lasted about 5-10 minutes.

Frequency:
The first time this happened was about 4 months ago, and it has happened intermittently twice since then.

After the first episode, I rushed him to our vet for an evaluation. He checked his vitals, and said it did not sound like a stroke, and thought it might be anxiety.

Has anyone else diagnosed these symptoms in their Yorkie? I am really concerned that this might be a big issue, and would really like to get treatment for whatever the underlying cause might be.
Anxiety is much different. You'll see tucked tails, hiding behind you or under furniture. A really bad episode might include high pitched keening and drooling. In my highly anxious gal's case, it causes GI upsets. She even had what we now know was an anxiety attack and drooled for a few hours. I've never seen a seizure in a dog before, but I have seen many of them in humans, and that's exactly what a seizure looks like- from your description. I know your vet said it was a anxiety, but, definitely not any anxiety I've ever seen.
JennaPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!