View Single Post
Old 06-20-2017, 06:59 AM   #1
Layla Foshee
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Blood Sugar Probs in Adult?

Good Morning. I hope I do not come off as rude. I tried to search before posting so as to not ask a question that might be one you all have grown tired of answering or reading about, but my computer is not cooperating with me trying to search for the right terms.

I have been a member since 2014, but I have never posted and mainly just read. I have an adult yorkie poo (only one grandparent is a poodle, all other lineage is yorkie) who has what my husband and I are convinced is something to do with low blood sugar. Her name is Dixie. I have had her since she was 12 weeks old or more, and she is now around 4 years old.

Dixie is pretty healthy and regularly sees a vet which is about 2 miles from our house. I suppose since she does have a bit of poodle in her, she is probably a bit larger than some of your yorkies. She weighs 9 lbs, but she is NOT overweight. I will try to add a picture. She does not appear thick or fat or skinny either. She has muscle tone in my opinion.

She is active and loves to play fetch and play in general daily, even still at 4 years old. She receives monthly grooming and regular vet checks.

We have struggled with only one main issue with her since we got her. She will, I would say maybe every couple of months, for whatever reason go into a drunken lethargic state, eyes glazed, pale gums, tongue out. The first time she did it, she was a puppy. Just my luck it was like maybe a Saturday or Sunday night so I had no vet access, and I was convinced she was dying! I forgot to mention, when this happens she also is wobbly and cannot walk straight etc. Very scary.

Well, she was a puppy the first time like I said, and luckily a friend of mine had raised enough animals throughout her life to suggest that night for me to quickly give her some syrup. It magically worked! We had to force it with an empty syringe because she would not eat or drink, but within 30 min she was fine.

I took her to the vet all those years ago the following Monday, and they did tests. They were convinced she had gotten into eating something in the house that did not agree with her, and all her tests came back fine. They did not believe my sugar theory because she is not such a tiny teacup little thing.

I was not happy with their theory, and it offered no solutions since by that time she was fine, but it was probably around that time I found the board and read similar stories. At that time, she was a puppy, so I hoped she would just grow out of this.

She did not! Still to this day, every couple of months this will still happen even 3 or 4 years later. Luckily my husband is self employed and is never far from our house, so we installed a doggy camera so that we can watch her any time we are away. If we suspect it is happening, he is able to leave and quickly give her either syrup or nutrical.

The downside is this is done immediately, and by the time I get her to the vet, she is always fine. Just our luck, it usually happens at night or at a time like a weekend when I have never been able to rush her into the vet for him to witness what happens.

Her only other health concern is that just this summer she has somewhat become a constant scratcher, and I have tried several different things for that and am still trying to help that. She has not scratched to the point of damaging skin or fur yet.

So far, syrup or nurtical when what we still are convinced is low blood sugar fixes our main concern. I guess I was just roaming the boards today, looking for similar experiences with a yorkie that is an adult and is not even particularly tiny.

She has constant access to her food and water, and the only food she likes that does not seem to upset her digestion is Science Diet Toy formula for adults. I know probably many here will not like that food, but that is what miss prissy boss has chosen out of the ones we have tried. She would probably eat a home cooked diet which I have read about, but I have not tried.

Anyway, I guess I just wanted to into us. My name is Layla. I am almost 40. I am a teacher and have taught for 17 years. My husband is Scotty. We have 2 teenage boys. We have a total of 3 dogs. 2 are rescues and are 6 and 7 years old. They are mutts and are large breeds and live outdoors.

Our yorkie poo again is 4 years old now. Her name is Dixie. She lives completely indoors, and we will usually only let her play outside on a leash or within arms distance because our backyard is a wooded area where we know there are coyotes or other dangers to curious small ones like her.

She is very stubborn and thinks she is the boss of the house and even the boss of her other larger brother and sister dogs lol. She has a very headstrong attitude.
Layla Foshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!