View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 01:02 AM   #12
airplane
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemy View Post
That coat is a beech to get right. But it also seems we have some different outlooks - and categorically I dislike when I see a black coat winning in the ring given how important coat is. And to be fair a very light silver. IMO u need to get that light reflection coupled with right color and texture. My Razz even when dirty his coat gleams - reflects the light.

Now I humbly point out we have some very other important issues. Solve the bite and teeth health problem!!! Maybe more of an issue in North America than Europe IJDK
I find it really interesting to read this. I was recently at a dog show and it was my first time competing, it was quite an experience. Of course I was asking lots and taking a good look at the yorkies. The yorkie who the judge picked had a completely black coat. And i found out this was an adult dog who was more than old enough that you'd expect to have their coat lightened up to a blue colour. The texture though was silky. You could see that just by looking at the dog. But just completely black. This was a yorkie from Europe. It was an outdoor show on a sunny day, and the coat didn't have the shiny reflective property that you'd expect from a silky coat. It seemed to more just kinda absorb the sunlight rather than reflect it. I was quite surprised that the judge picked that yorkie. Of course the dog had lots of really good traits but the coat was just completely black and had no shine. I thought I was maybe mistaken and that maybe it's just a really dark blue. So I got right up to the dog and chatted with the lady who was showing him. I wasn't mistaken. The coat was 100% black as black could be. I had no idea whatsoever that a silk coat could be completely black like that.

Besides that I also saw another yorkie whose muzzle was so short that it completely changed the look of the face. It was like the super flat face that you might expect to see on a shih tzu or some other breed. It just kinda threw me for a loop. I was so surprised.

I'm not normally one to pick apart dogs and analyze them but at the same time I'm trying to learn about the breed and develop an eye for a yorkie. I have to say though that I agree with you about disliking seeing a black coat winning. It's just something that seems to completely miss the mark of the breed standard. I so much love to see a shiny reflective silky blue coat.
airplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!