View Single Post
Old 06-07-2017, 05:32 AM   #7
pstinard
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayleighL View Post
The link opened just fine. I read it and think that it probably confirms what most yorkie owners know - yorkies are special

Our vet and breeder recommended letting yorkies free feed with food available during all waking hours. Since yorkies tend not to over eat like some breeds, they will self regulate and get food when they need it. Part of the reason for this is blood sugar regulation. It definitely has worked for us although were we a multiple pet home this would be a challenge as we know from experience. We used to have a cat and a hoover-like mini dachshund who could down leftover cat food in milliseconds.

The bigger debate I have seen for yorkies is what to feed them. No grain? Kibble? Fruits & veggies? Meat? Maybe the energy discussion would lend some insight into the best balance of foods, which of course would still need to be individualized to each dog.

Interesting.
I believe that the article is geared towards the feeding guidelines that are printed on dog food bags for people who aren't experienced at how much food to give their dog. Experienced Yorkie owners will probably know how much food to give their dog to keep them healthy and at a good weight.

We free fed Bella as a puppy, and I agree that's a very good idea--it helps prevent hypoglycemia. Each dog is different, though, and as she got older, Bella remained a little Hoover vacuum cleaner, sucking up her food as soon as it was put down. Some dogs can handle free feeding for all of their life, but Bella is not one of them .

I hope that the group that did this study continues their research and studies which *types* of food are the best to feed. I agree that this will still have to be individualized for each dog. Bella can handle anything (grains, corn, meat, vegetables) put on her plate like a pro, but apparently not every dog responds the same way. Oh, there is some treat that groomers have given Bella in the past that gives her diarrhea and makes her miserable. I keep having to remind them NO TREATS, just provide water.
pstinard is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!