Thread: Grace
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2017, 04:49 PM   #1
Andy Grace
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Grace

Dear Yorkie Owners,

I need help, advice, and support. My Yorkie, Johnny B. Goode will be 2 years old on September 3. He is very well behaved, generally friendly, but sometimes shy given some early puppy experience before he came to me.

For instance, he is leary of hands reaching out to him. It takes some coaxing and a treat to get him to sit and be picked up. At the same time, he does sit, stay, here, up, touch, come, quite well. I expect it’s part of being a terrier to ignore commands now and then unless pressed?

Here are my real questions: I live alone, but on the same property with my son and his family. My grandsons are 8 and 9. They have pretty much lost interest in Johnny.

We are in a semi rural environment. I fenced my garden and yard so that he has a safe place to be. BTW Johnny is not a barker, chewer, or really any problem at all.

But I am almost constantly worried about whether he is “bored.” I believe dogs get bored. Right?

He’s on the look out for squirrels and birds, but that is not a primary occupation. Toys do not appeal to him. He has a number of them. I was arranging play dates for him and have discovered a day care facility, but the play dates put pressure on other people, and the day care is $35.00 a day. Not within my budget long term.

I take him for a walk most days, or for a run in a field nearby. Our nearby road is well trafficked.
That makes walking a stop and go thing. I always have him stop when a car goes by.

However, with regard to the walks, I can be remiss. I am an active 75, but still 75. How much exercise, play does this little guy need? His running space is about 125’ x 75’, plus a small, but roomy cottage.

I am more and more aware of how much energy and angst I am expending worrying about his state of mind. It’s becoming distressing and depressing with regard to my state of mind. Also, I feel bad leaving him alone, consequently depriving myself of stimulation I need.

I had a Yorkie who was a gift from my children and grandchildren. He was killed at 7 months. I was devastated. I know I rushed into another dog, Johnny is from the same breeder. I had just about recovered from Billy’s death, able to think of life without a companion, but had asked the breeder about the next litter, and here I am. In my heart and gut I believe I made the wrong decision in taking Johnny on, but, honestly, have no idea of what to do next.

I need to find some peace in my anxiety about his well being. He loves to be free to roam the property, but I cannot take the chance of his getting to the road. In the meantime, I am constantly worried and anxious that he is, to put it in my own terms, not having a good time or a good life with me.

I know enough about psychology to realize that I am not having a good time or a good life with myself, but before I can go forth on fixing that, I must get some idea of what Yorkies are about, and what other well taken care of Yorkie lives are like. You are the only source I presently have.

Others will say, “He’s a dog!” Meaning, what’s the big deal? His vet says that since he is not destructful, barking, etc., he’s fine, meaning OK. Will some of you please help me with knowing how much time your pets just lie around and or sleep? Thank you very much!

Pat

BTW I had a Papalion for 17 years. He traveled everywhere with me, and I mean everywhere! No problem in the car for road trips or anywhere else. My children thought a Yorkie, given his size, would be the same kind of travel companion for me. Johnny does not like the car. Aside from shaking for the whole ride, he can manage to vomit a number of times during any trip.
Some pills the vet gave me work, but I’m not about to use them for short rides to a friend’s home or such.

Also, by now he knows my patterns and hides under the bed if he thinks a car ride may be in the offing.

HELP!!!
Andy Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!