View Single Post
Old 05-30-2017, 11:46 AM   #6
Gr33zyinc
Yorkie Talker

Jilly gave some great advice.

I'd like to add to that; Another thing you can do is, Call dogs name, and then say Come... and reward the dog when they come. Do it randomly, when the dog is next to you, when you are sitting on the sofa watching tv, when you are ready to go out, when you are going to bed for the night (surely the dog comes to your room, and does not sleep alone right?). The point is, practice the command always, and do it when you know the dog will respond and come. (Set them up to Win!)
*If you will be setting them up for Clicker Training, then "MARK" the dog once he starts to come to you, and then eventually move the "MARK" to once the dog actually gets to you.)

If your dog is outside and another off leash dog comes to you, and you know he loves dogs, he probably won't come when you say "Come", and repeating it multiple times will not help.

Never Call a dog to you ("Come") for a BAD Thing. Time to leave the park - Don't use the "Come" Command. If they are chewing your favourite rug, don't say "come" and then punish them. (They do not understand the difference and will think, mom said come and I came and now I'm in trouble for coming.)

And Finally, if you are teaching the "Come" command, do not forget to (once you have the come command down-pat) eventually teach a Stop-In-Motion command! Do not over-look the importance of this, it can be a life saver.

Last edited by Gr33zyinc; 05-30-2017 at 11:47 AM.
Gr33zyinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!