View Single Post
Old 05-28-2017, 03:31 PM   #9
Ohanax3
Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetodream88 View Post
It's very rare that it would do that sometimes something so small we don't even think about can make them leery of something. I would look for a vet who gave the time to answer questions and your concerns. My boy had a pretty decent reaction to Lyme when he was a puppy so we he got his booster I gave Benadryl before and asked for pain meds and everything worked out much better. It's hard to make decisions for this little living beings exspecially when they can't talk. My boy is the only yorkie I have had that had any vaccine issues. I have a 10 year old girl and a 9 month old girl who don't seemed bothered by them. My moms yorkie rescue did good too so when my little boy didn't it was new to me and I was a worry wart. He would actually shake and not be really responsive and we ended up taking him to the ER vet twice for reactions. he was 4 and 5 pounds then he is now 10 pounds which might have helped also but I will never get him a vaccine with out Benadryl first and pain meds after just don't wanna risk it. What I like to do when getting vaccines is go in the morning and not on like a Friday so if they have a reaction your vet is still open instead of having to go to the ER.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie's Mom View Post
Save

Hi and welcome . So glad you came out of lurking! And congrats on your yorkie!

So the first question I have is...if your vet is the type who wants to give a bunch of vax at once...why are you still going to him...? I'd find a vet who is line w/ your preferences and in line with what's the safest route.

Second - it's absolutely fine to give Benadryl about 45 mins prior to ANY vaccine to avoid reactions. My vet hasn't seen a single reaction in her 30 years from any dog who was first given Benadryl. Dose is 1-2mg/pound.

I'm a vaccine minimalist - so I only get the core vaccines, and I do not get bordetella.

Thank you! I actually recently saw a different vet who I prefer over the last one, but this was after his last round of shots. I want to only get the core ones from now on also, except I need them to get bordetella in case I need them to stay at a babysitter unfortunately. Thank you so much for your response! I will definitely request only the necessities next time!
Ohanax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!