View Single Post
Old 05-24-2017, 08:41 PM   #7
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

I used to have poodles and they were always toy oriented, even into old age. One would carry her plushy around with her all the time and even sleep with it. I noticed poodles were also total clowns, funny entertainers.

Your baby sounds kind of psychologically or emotionally shut down. Usually, you can prod a terrier into an almost instant reaction by poking at them a couple of times or playfully baiting him with almost anything. What is your Yorkie's life like - what does he do all day? How involved with you with his day-to-day life? First thing I'd do is get a good vet check-up w/labs to be sure he's physically well, not got low thyroid or suffering from diabetes, worms or cardiac insufficiency, etc.

But none of my 3 Yorkies was much interested in toys after puppyhood. Mine all preferred human interaction, mental stimulation and game-playing with me over toys - kind of like older kids. My Yorkies have all been totally involved in their human's life, adore visitors and you can tell feel like they run the household. And they love working at anything you do with them, such as obedience training, a walk or learning to use an interactive toy.

Now outside, my Tibbe is a different animal - like he's awakened to a half-wild animal, scent-and-prey driven, he'll track the comings and goings of any critter that's been in the yard, chase any birds or cats that get in the yard and then track their scent long after they've departed, his little neck slightly arched as he lowers his head a bit to better catch the scent, tail and ears pointed straight up and ultra-alert, he's the very picture of a terrier at his work, looking for trouble and set upon dispatching it if he finds it. Keeping a dog with his mental abilities and terrier disposition takes a good deal of knowing your dog, life-enrichment activities, interaction and involvement in order for the Yorkies I've had to live their best lives.

Tibbe has a lot of interactive toys and forage food bowls that he adores for their challenges and we play a number of games we've invented that keep him working to solve problems and engaging his natural instincts. Owning a Yorkie usually takes no small amount of their owner's involvement as they are such keenly aware, complicated little wonders.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!