Thread: Schutzhund
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2017, 02:36 PM   #25
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetodream88 View Post
I just don't think it's great for any dogs teeth and jaws but that's just my opinion. I have heard of it used to train fighting Pitts.
Schutzhund? Not likely. I feel like it's a pretty dignified sport from what I've seen. Nobody who is fighting their dogs underground or w/e are going to pay any amount of money for professional classes like this from trainers. It's a dog sport just like how agility is, weight pulling, nose work, etc. But like I said not something that would be recommended for yorkies or most breeds besides the guardian type.

Are you thinking of the ones whose dogs hang off like big tires/toys etc in trees? There are definitely idiots out there who misuse these tools and try to get their dog to be aggressive but a lot of times it's simply good exercise. I belong to a few FB groups for "fit" dogs and many pet owners who want their dog to be in shape use flirt poles etc (I like these too - attach a toy to the end of it and the dogs chase it, it provides a great outlet for them).

It's probably not good for teeth/jaw long term to be swinging around off peoples arms however I know the people who do it take big precautions. Also the sport isn't *all* that, either, it's about a lot of other things and behaviors. I've even seen police dogs with crowns on their teeth for protection!! My dads JRT mix used to hang on to the toy and not let go and we would lift her in the air. She's older now and hasn't in years but she used to love it.

Like weight pull is another one that rubs me the wrong way but I just don't know enough about it to judge.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!