Thread: Schutzhund
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2017, 07:58 AM   #20
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkietalkjilly View Post
I've read and heard that most people pay for expensive Schutzhund-trained dogs for aggressive attack purposes in order to save their lives from some type of anticipated physical attack solely intended to maim, kill or kidnap.

Yes, they are socialized, trained in tracking and obedience trained in order to strictly condition them to prescribed behavior in any and all situations they could face and strictly trained to obey all commands instantly and without hesitation but basically I understand that basically Schutzhund training essentially programs the dog to attack and totally disable/kill anything coming toward its charge either on command or its own initiative.

During a Sunday walk years ago, my tiny 3 lb. Jilly, with a tiny little snarl, instinctively jumped out in front of me to 'protect' me when a 65+ lb. Dalmatian suddenly rushed from the side bushes, in her brave attempt to protect ME, a 125 lb. woman, from the big dog! I didn't have to teach her a thing, nor should anyone teach a dog under 75 lbs.+ to try to protect them.

Tragically, the Dalmatian set upon Jilly with its teeth, picked her whole little body up in his mouth and proceeded to savage her as I used my walking stick on his head, eyes, nose, mouth with my right arm and held onto her leash with my left hand, trying to free her as I tried to kill him before he killed her. I guess the stick finally hit an eyeball or nose of something as he suddenly backed off his lacerated victim but God help me, who wants anything other than a big, powerful brute of a dog trying to protect them when a smaller dog is often the one who ends of in surgery, painful rehab or dead in the ER vet clinic? Dogs are often instinctively fiercely protective of their human as I sadly found out when Jilly was attacked for her best efforts.

The smaller dog is almost always the pitiful, lacerated, bloody loser when a larger dog or human goes after it for trying to protect its human charge as any animal intent on attack can be utterly and savagely vicious and can sustain an ferocious attack sickeningly long after their prey goes eternally still. I would never train anything other than a large, powerful breed from a genetic line bred specifically for protection/attack aggression/working tendencies and only then in the unlikely event I had an unproven stalker/suspected threat that LEOs were prevented from taking steps against until said villain actually broke the law. But I would never try to train anything but a large, powerful brute of a naturally aggressive dog in Schutzhund protection/attack tactics as anything smaller is all too often just a victim in waiting.
Your story is sooo scary. I can only imagine the fear. We've had a few close scares but never anything this bad. I imagine that fear would've been ingrained in you in the future.

I agree, most dogs instinctively will do this, no matter their size. And that breeds better suited to the protection 'lifestyle' would be best to train in this particular sport.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!