Thread: Crate Woes
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2017, 01:46 PM   #23
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathylouise View Post
I'm encouraged by the training tips and your personal anecdotes. I've moved the crate closer, removed the cover and as soon as I did, he walked right into it. Still a struggle at bedtime, but not to the degree as before.

I'll continue to train him with positive reinforcement as I want him to have a safe and comfortable 'room' on standby.

Great conversation.

Kathy (and Morris)
It'll happen. Tibbe had a bad history and was scared of and barked, shook, sometimes panicked from just about everything when I first got him - TV's, any electronic type sound(can still occasionally send him out of the room if he's feeling bad), doorbell, refrigerator coming on, alarm clock, phone ringing, going through doorways, doors themselves, garbage bags not where they should be outside, a bit of trash blowing across the yard, you name it. With patient redirection, always positive reinforcement, they do learn to handle new things. There are even training exercises for teaching hyper-vigilant dogs how to handle new, strange things.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!