Thread: Schutzhund
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2017, 07:51 AM   #12
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiemini View Post
Today most of the Schtzhund trainers are active in the K9 Sports Pro organization and trials. They cover tracking, obedience and protection. Generally temperament is more important that jaw strength when training these dogs.
Agree. For Schutzhund's primary protection/attack role for prospective owners who may be at risk, trainers usually select mostly high-motor, hyper-vigilant, fearless, intense, aggressive, large, powerful dogs whose bite is bred strong for centuries, a dog that would rather work than eat, play, sleep or cuddle and is always asking to work. And because they are almost always instinctively act on their own initiative for protection purposes, training that dog to do anything other than protect his charge takes a trainer with total dedication and determination.

For the dog who may never have to protect a charge and the training is more of a sport, a less focused temperament can be fine.

But I've never seen a Yorkshire Terrier of even the largest teapot size that any dog trainer I know would recommend for training in personal protection.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!