Thread: Crate Woes
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2017, 01:01 PM   #13
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Pups instinctively sleep with their pack, often back-to-back or on or near one another. Anything else is anathema to them so we have to allow them to slowly come around to our strange ways(to them our ways are very foreign). Dogs don't naturally isolate at bedtime or playtime in separate cave-like, confined areas but that's what you're asking her to do. You'll have to create fun, pleasant, short-lived associations with that crate for her to want to go in it.

First of all place a worn tee-shirt or socks with your scent on it in the crate so your baby can cuddle with a packmember's scent to help soothe her. Change as necessary with a piece of clothing with your scent on it until she's learned to love her crate.

Teach your pup that the crate is a temporary, very fun place. Feed her in there every meal with the door open as you sit right beside it, cheering her on as she eats in the crate. During the day, toss balls and toys and treats in there for her to go in and get, eat, retrieve but be able to come right out again so her 'prisoner' gene isn't triggered. Praise her and clap and act VERY enthusiastic when she goes in and praise her big time for anytime she should wander in on her on and immediately get her a special treat. Make a game of tossing a treat in and clapping and praising her for going in to eat it! The more fun the game, the more she'll like her crate.

Slowly build up her tolerance for the crate during the time you are home with her by putting her in with high-tone, squeaky-sounding, enthusiastic, happy words like "you've won the prize!" and "you WIN so IN you go!", add high-value treats or toys and close the door, walk away. One minute or two later, return and let her out with little fanfare. Repeat 30 mins. later and on and on until she's accepting her short time with no fuss. Gradually increase her time in the crate with the door shut as tolerated with no fuss from her. If you work up gradually and slowly enough, she should be able to stay in for a whole hour with no talkback.

But she'll still instinctively want to cuddle near the body warmth of a packmate at bedtime as that's how dogs instinctively sleep in nature. All of my dogs have slept in the bed with me, teehee. At first, I had to place them in the small, compact airline carriers with a worn sock of mine until I knew they could be clean in the bed and not go potty, etc. But those babies knew I was right there, nearby, my fingers sticking in the wire doorway if they felt separated from their pack. After a day or two, they didn't need the carrier anymore and slept with mommie.

But for many reasons dogs need to be trained to tolerate or even love the protection of their crate with total acceptance.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!