Thread: Crate Woes
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2017, 03:58 AM   #10
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathylouise View Post
I can also relate to the horror of confinement! When I look at the crate, I see a cage, and when I latch it, I cannot help but experience a moment of powerlessness.

Then, I check myself and revisit the other side of the coin- the mantras I have read time and again.. A canine needs and benefits from the security of a den... and, limits and structure must be imposed and it is my responsibility to create and carry them out for the welfare of the animal.

Gosh. This must be akin to what parents experience! I've taught all levels of public school for 18 years, and raised cats to 18 and 20 years, but when it comes to puppy raising, I am without an ounce of philosophical certainty.

Good thing you guys are here!!

Thanks again.

Kathy (and Morris)
Hah, being without philosophical certainty is a certainty here, so you're in good company !

The "wolf den" theory you read about in different places is much different than a crate. Wolf dens are safe havens - and are open to coming and going; crates are cages, confining, can cause feelings of being trapped. HUGE difference. So, we can't really correlate those 2 things like people assume we can...totally different experience. 1 is forced; 1 is not at all -- incomparable.

There are many ways to keep a puppy safe - it does not in any way require a crate - that's just an opinion out there. It's not a fact. People even build things from scratch for their puppies that are phenomenal. There are lots of avenues to safety. A crate is just one, and it may not work for your puppy or be best for its well being.

You really just have to get to know *your* puppy and understand what it's trying to tell you....whether it's telling you "I'm anxious" or "I'm peaceful...I'm doing okay, Mom" -- it's all there in their actions . Listen to what they're trying to tell you, and let that be part of your guide on your path of Puppy Momdom.....

Best of luck !
Save
Save

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!