View Single Post
Old 05-14-2017, 09:46 AM   #2
Lovetodream88
Yorkie mom of 4
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn in Vegas View Post
Hi all!

I am currently in the process of transitioning my boy from the bland chicken/rice diet back to his food, Royal Canin Yorkie. He had to spend the night at the vet's last Sunday night while on fluid therapy. Turns out the melena (which means there's blood in the upper GI tract) was due to a bacterial infection according to my vet since everything else looks good. All of Jasper's test results came back great which was such a relief since I've been through so much with my Misty who passed, so I was thinking worse case scenario with Jasper.

Yesterday was the first day I mixed some of the RC with the bland diet, and noticed soon after Jasper would eat it...his tummy would start to make loud gurgle sounds. So now I'm thinking that he may be allergic to the RC food? About a month prior to Jasper being hospitalized is when I switched him to the RC from Blue Wilderness. I mentioned this to my vet of course, and he said it could be, but we won't know until he starts to eat normally again to try and diagnose what exactly brought on the melena (i.e. bacteria or allergy).

My vet thinks Jasper ate something that had the bacteria, but now I'm thinking food allergy. My question is...can melena be brought on by a food allergy (even though Jasper had already been eating it for a month)? Has anyone else ever had an issue with RC Yorkie? Should I try another food for today or keep giving him the RC Yorkie? Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated!
Food allergies are actually rare. Just a gurgling tummy wouldn't mean food allergy anyway. Maybe his tummy just doesn't agree with that food. Is he gassy or anything else?
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!