View Single Post
Old 05-08-2017, 02:05 PM   #1
DHerm66
Yorkie Talker

Default Yorkies with so much problems

I have two Yorkies both males, one is 8 yrs and the other is 7yrs. I loved both to death...before Ive had dachshunds. My 7 year old is the one with the problems which I had no idea that Yorkies are prone to get them. He loves to run, play, jump, swim etc. About a year and half ago his trachea collapses severely that we had to drive an hour to get a stent to be put in... that cost 3,000 which to me it was well worth it and he has to be on medicine for the rest of his life for coughs from the trachea. Then about 6 months ago he get a Ruptured Cruciate Ligament (ACL) and my vet says to have him not to walk, play, jump etc for 4-6 weeks to see if it heals on its own. While he was put on rest I noticed he was not walking normal...walking gaitly like, couldn't stand, his paws would fold inward. So I brought him to the vet thinking he had Wobblers Syndrome and she recommended to do a MRI, my vet diagnosed him as Herniated Disc in the Neck and fearing has something to do with brain disorder too. Had the MRI done and was told everything showed normal, then did the brain and also told was normal and lastly they wanted to do a spinal tap to see if he have meningitis and he did not so all of those were done by MRI and all came back normal. They diagnosed him with COMS. Never heard of that till I googled it and exactly the symptoms he has. So now he's on 3 different medications for the COMS and he is due back in 4 weeks to see in improvement or not. The very next day, no LIE he dramatically improved which I couldn't believe it and I was so happy for him, but however I still think he has the (ACL) issues but not as bad as before. So this week which is his four week we see the vet on Thursday and I cant wait to tell her the good news and I'm guessing he probably will be on meds for that for life. I forgot to say this before he went to get the MRI, his vet also recommend acupuncture before the MRI because it did help lots of dogs with the Herniated Disc in the Neck and (ACL) too. Did the acupuncture for 4 weeks. So right now not sure if the acupuncture did the works or the meds. Again, I totally love Yorkies but when its time for them to leave to go to Heaven...not sure if I want to have a Yorkies again or go back with the Dachshunds. It has nothing to do with the money within a reasonable price....it more so my heart hurts for him not being able to be like he used to be....loves to play with other dogs, run, jumps, swims, etc. Just like to know if anyone had Yorkies without any problems til the end?
DHerm66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!