View Single Post
Old 05-04-2017, 11:28 AM   #8
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzy View Post
thank you she wont take treats when out side but don't know if im doing more harm by picking her up while passing dogs i was wondering if to just stand to the side of the path while the other dog passes she just makes a real carry on i feel embarrassed at times she is friends with my friends dogs dosent play with them but also dosent like them playing i have also noticed that she is better with male dogs
What is her currency in life? What does she really love in life that always motivates her? What does she consider a paycheck or highly valued reward? A squeaky toy or chasing balls?

For rehabilitation purposes, you have to find a way that allows her to form pleasant associations with the appearance of another dog. Something that will get and hold her attention in a happy way as she experience the other dog come near and go by.

If she is very, very hungry would she be interested if you pulled out a lovely raw piece of meat or warm hotdog piece to bait her with? Not that you would ever let her get to it to eat it but to bait her as show-dog handlers do in shows- holding the bait in their closed fingers up to the dog's lips to keep their rapt attention as the judge appraises them.

If she's action-oriented like a Jake-Russell, you might make a fun game of running her around in very, very, furiously fast, tight, repetitive circle - so fast and intense that she cannot manage to find a way to do anything but think about keeping her feet under her? Then, after the dog has passed, massive praise party using high-squeaky-toned praise words, caresses and happy dances, then tossing her squeaky toy ahead of her for her to pounce on and take out her pent-up energy on. An action-oriented dog would adore this type of thing and see it as a wonderfully fun game that seems to happen every time another dog approaches when outside.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!