View Single Post
Old 04-20-2017, 09:51 AM   #8
danniko
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstinard View Post
The threat posed by citric acid is GREATLY overrated. Citric acid occurs naturally in citrus fruits like lemons, limes, and oranges. I sometimes give Bella small pieces of orange as a treat and she has never had any problems. The amount they put in dog food as a preservative is minimal, and I seriously doubt that it poses any threat to dogs. Let us know what your vet says.
Thanks!

Our vet didn't have much to say other than those ingredients are in a lot of prescription diets and to call and ask the company for the reasoning behind the formula switch. I know citric acid itself isn't the issue that keeps coming up just that you shouldn't mix foods containing citric acid with water or it could lead to bloat. Sophie eats 2 of her 3 meals a day mixed with water due to some dental issues.

As of right now though we have two bags that will last us until the end of summer of the old formula but she goes back to the vet to retest her urine because the concentration was really low for first morning urine. So her entire diet may have to change if she has early kidney disease. Her bloodwork came back with very good levels for her kidneys so the vet just wants to check the concentration in a few weeks again to see if maybe it was a fluke or the beginning stages.

But the uti and crystals were gone!
danniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!